Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Books as gifts this holiday season


You may have heard of the dedication rule: want/need/wear/read. It's cute, and it's so harmonious that it's easy to remember. But I say why not skip the first three and just gift a book? Or several? I am firm in my belief that books are the best gift. They are not in and out of fashion, they can be passed on or re-read, and they can take you out of your world and into another. Books teach us lessons And the helps Instill empathy among readers. In short, the perfect gift.

If you don't know what books to gift this holiday season or to whom, I've got you covered.

For your writer friend, friend who's been through a hard time lately, friend who needs a reminder to take care of herself, or friend who just loves a good read, here are six books to gift her this holiday season.

Love and Saffron by Kim Faye

I heard author Kim Fay explain on a podcast that she wrote the first draft of this book as a love letter to send to her friends during the onset of the Covid lockdown. She wanted them to feel the fuzzy warmth that we are all so sorely lacking in the quarantine heat. For the sheer fortune of those of us who aren't personal friends of Fay's, she ended up publishing the book so we can all read it.

It is a novel in the form of letters exchanged between two women in the 1960s. They talk about food, the Kennedy assassination, and his love, frequently topping off the letters with great recipes. It's a delicious relationship filled with innocence, admiration, respect, and calculation. And it's less than 200 pages long, so it's a quick read for those who haven't been able to Find time to read Or who return to their love of reading. This book will definitely suck them back in.

Winter: the power of comfort and retreat in difficult times by Kathryn May

This book changed me. It's about enduring tough times and learning to take care of ourselves in the process, "winter" is both a metaphor for life's tough cycles as well as a season that can be quite brutal. Told in beautiful excerpts from the life of writer Katharine May, including stories about her husband's illness and her medical problems that led her to quit her job, winter season is a narrative about rest and regeneration, and the importance of taking care of ourselves through our winters.

winter season It moved me so much that I wrote Article About this concept in December 2020, going into detail about what it means to use winter as a time to heal, rest, and come out stronger on the other side. I think anyone who has had a hard winter, that is to say all, needs this book. It's a voucher then to indulge in the rest that comes with life's tough seasons.

big circle by Maggie Shepstead

Gift this to your reader friend. Better yet, gift it to your friend who is a writer so that this will be her reference book for how to write a sentence. big circle is my favorite book to read in 2022, and one of my top five favorites Ever. It's the fictional story of one of the first female pilots, and a century later, the Hollywood star played the pilot in a movie about her life. I stressed dozens of sentences that stopped me in my tracks as I read them. Example:

"She was at an age when the future adult was shaking the bones of a child like the bars of a cage."

And another: "She bends like a willow in the gusts of her grief."

what a beauty! What another way of stringing words together to make meaning. Maggie Cheepstead stuns me with her gift, and I come to terms with the realization that I will never be able to read big circle again for the first time.

This book is a volume of 608 pages, but it contains 608 pages of immense beauty; Learn about and interpret the world of women pilots and the men who tried to control them. Mostly, it's a story about finding one's self, and isn't that the most universal story of all?

Sweetgrass braiding By Robin Wall Kemmerer

What an amazing. I think about this book almost daily. Author Robin Wall Kimmerer is a botanist who is also an absolute poet. This collection of essays weaves Kimmerer's vast environmental knowledge with her identity as a member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, cooking up stories about belonging to this beautiful world that came before us and what we owe to nature as we step on it every day.

This is a thoughtful gift for anyone interested in Native American culture or the natural world in which we live. Offer this to anyone who appreciates nature as the mother she is to us all. It's a great read, and one that will surely become a classic of our time.

inside by Jung Pueblo

I came upon this poetry book by finishing one on a trip and not having a backup, so someone lent me this. I was so hungry for this happy accident. I loved so much of what I read that I ended up taking pictures of several pages because I knew I wanted to go back to it sometimes, whether to share what I loved about this book or to remind myself to go inside, take care of my head. The letters are love letters to the readers, reminding them on every page that taking care of our minds is the only thing that matters.

Example:

"Ask yourself:

Is this anxiety real or is my brain just looking for something to grab onto? "

And the:

"remind:

When the body gets tired

It is often created by the mind

Worries to focus on

Offer this to anyone who needs a boost to look inward and take care of themselves this winter. Pair it with winter season For the most comfortable self-care nectar.

Sentence by Louise Erdrich

This is the first novel I've read that takes place during the turmoil of 2020. I wasn't sure I'd feel prepared to read about the events of that year, but Louise Erdrich, a true goddess with words, collected the most. A compelling story about everyone's least favorite year. Sentence Set in Minneapolis, where George Floyd was killed, the film touches on the injustices, disease, and fears that plagued all of us who lived that year, all through the lens of charismatic characters I'm still thinking about, nearly a year after reading it.

Sentence is a witty novel that those interested in social commentary will especially enjoy.

When writing your gift list this holiday season, don't forget books. Books change lives. They are a real gift.


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments