Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

How Kristin McPhee's deep friendship with Stevie Nicks blossomed


Christine McPhee And the Stevie Nicks She was responsible for some Fleetwood MacThe most enduring songs, they complement each other musically while forming a bond for life.

When Knicks then boyfriend Lindsey Buckingham Fleetwood Mac joined in 1975, but McVie wanted to make sure - who He died on Wednesday At age 79 - approved first.

Co-founder, drummer and bandleader Mick Fleetwood She was prompted to recruit the duo after stumbled upon recording the duet in 1973 Buckingham Knicks. "He listened to Lindsey's guitar on that album and thought, 'This guy is bloody bright. We want him,'" McPhee said. Rolling Stone in a newly published archive interview from 2014. “And then we pushed Lindsey and he said, ‘Well, we're a couple. We come as a couple. So Mick came up to me and said, “They have a girl here. You have to meet her and see if you like her."

There was no issue for the two. “We met and I instantly liked her,” McPhee continued. "She and I are in no way competitive at all. We are so different, yet so sympathetic to each other. We are dear friends. We have no competition on stage. She is who she is. I am who I am. Easy, easy, easy."

Elaborating on the differences between her and Nicks, McPhee said, "I'm a tomboy, I hang out with guys. I like guys. I like to hang out with guys. And Stevie's kind of a girly girl. She likes to hang out with guys. With her girlfriends."

McVie's long association with Fleetwood Mac, dating back to the late 1960s, also informed her approach to working with the band. Having grown up with Mick W John [McVie] All those years before Stevie and Lindsey, I grew up with a dark sense of humor,” McPhee admitted. “This kind of thing comes with Mick, strutting around with his wooden balls on stage.” It's just too comical for me.

"Maybe Stevie was a little shy at first," she added. "It's just an integral part of who I've been for the last 40 years of my life, living with Mick and John, and [original Fleetwood Mac member] Jeremy Spencer, who used to have a dildo on stage, you know. I grew up with all of these things."

After Nicks and Buckingham joined the group, Fleetwood Mac's personal drama ballooned to epic proportions - and so did their success. that Named 1975 Lebanese pounds It became the first to feature the new lineup, selling 7 million copies in the US with hits for both McVie ("Say You Love Me") and Nicks ("Rhiannon"). Behind It, 1976 Rumorssold 20 million copies in the US and included McVie's "Don't Stop" and "You Make Loving Fun" as well as the chart-topping "Nicks".

McVie heaped more praise on her friend and colleague when asked how Nicks' two trips to rehab had changed her. "Bloody good, this is hard," McPhee said. "Look, I mean, Stevie is straight as a stock. She's so direct, so honest, so manic in a way — and I don't mean that in a bad way. She has her brand, you know? She's an icon. She's a genius. She's such a sweet, sweet, beautiful woman and I love her to death."

McPhee concluded, "She and I are different, and I can't love a woman." "She's amazing. She's so, so generous in every department — in every department."

Nicks shared the sentiment, posting a file Handwritten message On social media on Wednesday, she called McPhee "my best friend in the whole world since day one in 1975." Nicks signed, "I see you on the other side, love. Don't forget me."

Ex-Fleetwood Mac Members: Where Are They Now?

Fleetwood Mac was a huge success, and it was hard to keep the line-up together.

Rock Feud: Stevie Nicks vs. Lindsey Buckingham


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments