Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Why Tom Petty Was 'Grateful' For His Role In 'The Postman'


Tom Petty He appeared on screen for just a few moments in 1997 Postmanbut it may have been just the experience I needed at the time.

Overall, I found the '90s trivia navigating uncharted waters. His second solo album, 1994 wild flowers, was an instant classic but life was not what it seemed. Heartbreakers drummer Stan Lynch, who had been with the band for nearly 20 years, quit that same year. Meanwhile, Betty's marriage to his first wife ended in divorce in 1996, and he struggled with heroin addiction.

Beatty worked on another movie, in 1996 She is concerned, for which he quickly composed the accompanying soundtrack and score. He then released a full-length album, Heartbreakers Lyrics and Music from "She's the One"". movie starring Jennifer Aniston And the Cameron Diaz It was poorly received. Petty album, which also included covers of songs by Lucinda Williams and Beck, it was not: reached no. 15 on the Billboard 200.

"I think people are very confused by the idea of ​​having an acoustic album that wasn't," said Petty. bam in 1997. "I know the record company was. The movie wasn't good, but I loved it. It was funny and had something to say."

Then proceeded to fiddling on 20 nights stay In January 1997 at the Fillmore Ballroom in San Francisco, another adventurous project launched the Heartbreakers in a way they had never been before. In addition to the hits, they played dozens and dozens of cover songs She invited guests on stage to perform. "I wanted to play where there are no obligations whatsoever," Beattie explained.

Liabilities, as Betty had learned over the years, were part of the price one had to pay for being famous. However, it would be inaccurate to describe Petty as disillusioned with fame in the '90s. He wasn't all that keen on it in the first place.

"It was never in my nature to be like a celebrity or a celebrity," he said. "It's okay if I do that; I don't have anything against it. It's just not in my nature. I'll be late because of it. I don't attend premieres—I actually shy away from things that will put you in the spotlight. ... We don't do pick-ups." Pictures at all. I just don't do them. I don't want to do them. It's okay when you're a boy, but now I get so silly when I sit in front of a wallpaper and paint everything. So if they want to get a picture of me, take me to work or I work on Going, but I won't. The last picture I did made me sick; I think I actually caught a cold."

Watch the trailer for The Postman

By the latter half of the 1990s, Petty and the Heartbreakers had conquered almost everything in the rock and roll world, achieving commercial success and critical acclaim. But that doesn't exactly mean complete contentment in Betty's mind.

That's when he got a call from Kevin CostnerThen, he started working on a self-produced and directed movie titled Postman. Based on the mid-1980s novel of the same name, it is set in a post-apocalyptic neo-Western world during the 2013 near-future. For citizens, he inadvertently inspires hope.

Costner's call also happened to inspire some hope in Beatty, who had a small but memorable role as a local politician. "Kevin called me and asked me to play the mayor of a post-apocalyptic city," Beatty said, "and it was at a time when I really needed to do something." Rolling Stone in 1999. “I was, like, lost. The band stopped touring. I lived on my own.

"I needed to do something with my time, and that sounded perfect, so I took off and went to Washington, in the middle of the woods somewhere, bald eagles roaming around and freezing in July," Beatty added.

He was familiar with being in front of the camera. Petty has been doing this for years with his music videos, a task he both enjoyed and found another blip to fame. "We were around in the days before video clips and it was so much nicer, because people made their own films with songs in their heads," he said. bam. "They discover you in a different way: on stage. I'm not trying to be sincere. I've enjoyed making videos and I love the movie and I love the whole process, but it's just a pain in the ass that [have] One for each version.

my house Postman The character even bore an uncanny resemblance to the post-apocalyptic drifter he portrayed in his 1982 music video.you got lucky, "But working on a feature film in Hollywood was still fresh." Kevin was the director, and he really took my case on how to do it - "We're doing this differently than the music," said Pete Rolling Stone. "I am grateful to Kevin. He taught me, or tried, a lot of things about how to shoot this or that on camera."

Watch Tom Petty in The Postman

In Betty's cameo, the postman encounters the mayor while seeking sustenance. "I know you," Costner's character says to Betty. "you are famous." The mayor casually replies, "I was once, sort of—sort of, not anymore." Later, he insisted that the postman was actually the famous person.

Released on Christmas Day 1997, Postman It was a massive failure at the box office, making back only a fraction of its $80 million budget. The film was roundly condemned by critics, and it won five Razzie Awards for Worst Actor, Picture, Song (for the entire musical film selection), Director, and Screenplay.

Costner has continued to defend the film in subsequent years, expressing gratitude for his work. He later said that Betty's lines in particular were meant to serve as a broader metaphor.

"It deals with the nature of fame, you know what I mean? It's a very subtle thing," Costner said. The Daily Beast in 2020. “I think Postman Actually it is kind of a very funny movie, when you watch it. There is a sense of humor wrapped all the way through it. Just dealing with a little bit about the nature of fame, dealing with a famous person, and saying, 'No,' You are on Famous.' That's all the movie was trying to do."

Soon after the film's release, Petty received treatment for his addiction struggles, and achieved sobriety in time to tour in support of his 1999 album, sound echothen remarried in 2001. He landed a few more roles in film and television, most notably voicing Elroy "Lucky" Kleinschmidt in king of the hill From 2004 until the end of the show in 2009.

Fame, then, doesn't seem so daunting. Betty and his second wife, Dana, "can live in peaceful times when it's not a factor in our lives," he said in the 2005 book. Conversations with Tom Petty. "Really, most of the time it's just like a normal family. I work, and we're raising a 12-year-old. It's not unusual to spend a good part of the evening trying [Petty's stepson] Dylan finished his homework. I just got an unusual job."

Top 10 albums from The Leftovers

Odds and ends projects are often overlooked, but over time some have become appreciated—and in some cases, essential parts—from these artists' catalogues.

The Odd Couples: Tom Petty and Dave Stewart


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments