Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Your Life in Weeks, Envisioned: How to Quit Procrastinating and Start Actually Living


If you have a couple of seconds, we'd like to show you something. It's the rest of your life, planned week by week until you die.

You probably don't have two seconds to spare after all.

Don't worry, though. Gordon Brown can help you deal with this new feeling of dread. The steps are easy to follow. But following through will ease the panic mounting in your chest.

The minaret stands gigantic in the dark. Finally, the tired, agonizing sun dipped below the distant horizon and for a second became black, shadowing the twilight. Lights flash and the minaret lights up. A huge tower of cream-coloured stone, carved with dazzling geometric patterns that I can see even from below here in the street.

But it's a Syrian summer, and even in the dark the temperature is an easy 96 degrees. And I walk all day. A visitor from the United States has just brought us the last season of... The Simpsons I'm seventeen and I'm only human.

But I can see the minaret later. I'm back from college next summer and and then I can explore. I have all the time in the world. It's been there since the eleventh century - nothing's going to happen.

It was 2008, and the shells fired from the regime's tanks were of a different opinion.

I came to America for college and ended up staying after the war broke out. I watched from my bedroom safely as the places I had always thought I had changed beyond recognition. All the places you've been putting off seeing. The adventures I told myself I would take later. The trips I'd take, the people I'd meet, the smoky coffee shops I'd pick...

...well, life has a way of escaping you.

In Tim Urban TED talk on the topic of procrastination, defines that sense of dread triggered by the creepy deadline as the "monster panic." The way he explains it is really amazing, and very much worth watching.

For procrastinators (that is, everyone), the panic monster is the only thing capable of moving us forward. While a lot of the small projects in our lives conveniently come with their due dates, the things that are most important to us don't have hard deadlines.

But, as many people (including me) had to learn the hard way - just because there was no file Of course The expiration date on our hopes and dreams does not mean that expiration dates do not exist. They do just that and there should be nothing more dreadful than the thought of waking up in twenty or thirty years with the sickening realization that the best years of our lives have slipped through our fingers.

It is this fear, Urban argues, that keeps even the worst procrastinators among us on their toes.

Time and tides wait for no man and perhaps there is nothing more useful for setting the record straight than this tool. Even when not all of life's chaos (and there is Always Chaos), we still have many years left on this earth. And despite this, many of us imagine that life is something that we can live later - and We are especially at risk of falling into this misconception in our 20s.

live intentionally

Now does that mean we can't relax?

of course not.

The idea that we must spend our every waking moment in frenzied activity is just as wrong as the idea that we can conquer life. And again, I've been there myself—I swear I "can sleep when I die," only to find myself pulling three shifts, working for weeks on end, and generally wishing I was dead.

The very This is not to make us walk twice but to make us more selective about how we spend our most precious non-renewable resource: time. It makes us more aware of who we are need towhat were we WantsAnd what will it give us? permanent satisfy. Indeed, the great American writer and philosopher Henry David Thoreau took a year, not just from his career, but from civilization for the sole purpose of discovering what was worth giving his precious time to. To put it in his own words:

I went into the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, face only the basic facts of life, and see if I could Not Learn what it is It was to teach f Notwhen I come to die, Find out I haven't lived.

-Henry David Thoreau - Walden. or life in the woods1854

Ultimately, our decision to stop procrastinating and start actually living means we have to make our time work for us. To live, as Thoreau tells us,Deliberately"

But what does this mean?

intentional life

Now this might sound like one hell of a challenge. We must be adventurous, but not reckless. Passionate, but not driven. We have to plan ahead somehow and stay flexible enough to avoid all the changes life throws at us.

As with everything, it's easiest when broken down into steps.

Introspection

First of all, we have to find out what this is we notice.

It's not what society says we should care about. Not our parents, not our teachers, not even the smashing writers of digital lifestyle magazines (*cough*). Our time is limited and many people end up chasing those perfect white fences or rock and roll lifestyles just to achieve them and resident They find themselves empty and incomplete. And that doesn't mean we won't find our calling later in life (many people do), that's just it It makes no sense to devote the freest years of our lives to the realization of someone else's dream.

Planning

It is true that we will never really know what life will throw our way. A sudden change in careers or relationship status, an accident or injury - maybe even something crazy like war (as it was in my case). Even good luck can throw a wrench into the best laid plans. With all the chaos and flow, it can be tempting to throw up our hands and give in to the whims of fate.

We can't do that.

While time and tides wait for no human being, our inability does I know The future does not affect our ability pridect He. She. But you can't prepare for everything A wise man will be prepared for most things- Whether it's a career (or a backup job), a relationship, retirement, health and well-being (long term And the Short-term). We may not always be able to prepare for everything that could go wrong, but we must disbelief You have an excuse for not being prepared when things are going truly.

passion

And this may sound like a given, but it's amazing how many people have a career, a project, and a relationship they claim to be happy about, but lack any real enthusiasm for.

The lack of enthusiasm is understandable—finding a sense of direction is difficult, and charting an actual plan for getting from point A to point B is even more so. when we were to me Get Our Course Planner There will certainly be a temptation to relax, even to take things for granted. And herein lies the danger - to become lazy. All the incisive introspection and careful planning in the world won't do you any good unless you put it into action--and if you're going to act on those plans, an act he is.

If you get to the point where you're ready to start something, put some fuckin' in Pushing force behind (You can read up on Breamer's Dominic Preston for a perfect explanation of this).

Life, as we said before, is nothing if not unpredictable, and we simply don't have the luxury of slowing down or putting half measures toward our goals if we want to see them come true.

discipline

A mentor once said to me that “character is your ability to perform an action beyond the emotion from taking that action.”

This is a line that has stuck with me over the years since I first heard it—and I remember it most of all on the very frequent days when I screw it up. After I failed else Routine exercise. When I'm late yet else to cut. When my frantic notes on the next great American novel are gathering dust on my desk.

It's easy to announce our plan to commit to something. We can swear we'll climb that mountain, save up for that vacation, or learn to play that instrument, and in the heat of the moment we'll definitely mean every word of it. But feelings come and go, and then we need to be able to put in just as much effort as we did when we first started. And cultivating this degree of willpower would be equal parts art and science, but it is this ability to motivate (and intimidate) ourselves that is critical to our success.

So ask yourself these questions every night:

Have you made your existence richer in some way?

Did you continue the path of development?

Do you do something or love someone because of you I want to Or because it seems easier or less dangerous than changing directions?

Do you Live today?

There is no better time to start than now.


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments