Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

9 reasons why it's never been a better time to visit Fox Glacier


Sharing means caring!

People always ask me what is my favorite place in the world to travel to, and I always give different answers. I play fast and loser with the term "favorite," if I'm being honest here. I have many favourites. Can you stop asking me to choose?

But when it comes to New Zealand, it's wild West Coast From the South Island my heart will always be there. Here you have incredible coastlines, huge mountains, ancient forests, exotic birds, and no humans. It's everything I wanted! I'm sure it's where I will live one day.

A three-hour drive north of Wanaka will bring you to Fox Glacier, the go-to site for the West Coast. Glacier County It is the West Coast's most dynamic and impressive stretch. Two of the world's most unusual glaciers, the Fuchs and Franz Josef, are located here, which extend from the back of the mighty Mount Aoraki. Cook in the temperate rainforest below. Two beautiful rivers of ice, these glaciers are incredible.

Home to the larger town of Franz Josef and the smaller town of Fuchs, I always stay at Fuchs because it has a more relaxed, local feel, with plenty of things to do nearby. I'm also very good friends with the many wonderful locals here, who have always looked after me. Even after the breakup, I came here for a few weeks to recover. The fox heals.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

From acarito Fox Glacier is probably one of the best stretches of coast I've ever come across. It is very unusual to see huge mountains so close to the sea.

Also, I don't know about you guys, but even after ten years in New Zealand, I love that the Kiwi says the word "icy." It looks very fancy to us yanks. sound-ee-uh. Like "classier" but with a "g", and also with a lot more class too.

Sure, I might have become a full-fledged citizen through my careless use of words like "bin" and "garbage." Now I gossip about words like "garage" and "Nissan" like a South Islander, and say "wee" a lot. But even I, with all my bravado, haven't yet said "glacier" like the locals do, though I spend a good deal of time on glaciers. I just don't think I can pull it off.

I am so proud that you followed this amazing stream of consciousness comment. Thank you. And if you find yourself in New Zealand, be sure to visit one of the 3000 fast-dwindling GLAS-EE-UHS, especially Fox Glacier, my favorite and easy to get to on the West Coast. Over and over again MAH DAH-LINGS. (I swear I'm done being posh now); Someone stop me.

Visiting Fox Glacier during your next adventure in New Zealand is sure to leave you feeling exhilarated and surprised. These are the things I have to do to venture out here.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

1. Go heli-hiking on Fox Glacier

It's no secret - I've been a huge fan of Fox Glacier ever since I moved to Wanaka. Quiet and peaceful, the town of Fox is nestled between the stunning Fox Glacier / Te Moica O Tawawe and the Tasman Sea.

Here lies one of the most impressive glaciers in New Zealand as well as one of the most accessible in the world, descending 13 kilometers to 300 meters above sea level. It dates back to the 1890s Fox Glacier It has been highlighted as a major tourist attraction, with the first guided glacier trekking taking place in 1928.

Nowadays we mainly get to the glacier by helicopter (glaciers move a lot which makes it difficult to access). Fox Glacier Guides is an OG tour company in the South Island; their creator Helicopter tours on Foxglassr is one of my must-do things on any trip to New Zealand. No experience is required, and they provide you with all the equipment you need.

Just the helicopter trip to the glacier is worth it on its own. Then you spend a few hours exploring the ice with a guide, checking out caves, viewpoints, tunnels, and crevasses. It's incredible. Where else in the world can you do that? Visit Fox Glacier for an unforgettable adventure.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

2. Visit Matheson Lake at sunrise

Stillness and serenity are two things that I am always looking for in our busy world, but are often just out of my reach. Except, of course, when I'm on the west coast of New Zealand, where you can find both in abundance.

Look at the pictures from Matheson Lake And I was immediately taken back to this beautiful place. I can smell the moist, earthy air, feel the coolness creeping through my clothes, and hear the soothing birdsong as the day begins. Still quite quiet, I have this very popular place all to myself.

On a clear, still day, you get uninterrupted views of Aoraki/Mt. Cook, New Zealand's highest mountain, is reflected in the lake. Visiting Fox Glacier and skipping this easy hike would be remiss.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

3. Find the rare kōtuku/White heron in Scarito

Ōkārito boasts a gorgeous beach and lagoon, New Zealand's largest unmodified wetland and home to some outstanding rare birds. 45 minutes from Fox Glacier, acarito It was once a bustling port city. It is now home to mostly birds, including the kōtuku/rare white heron.

If you love wildlife, then you need to make sure to sign up for a morning excursion to the famous lake Okarito Eco Boat Tours. It is the best way to experience wetlands and their amazing nature. Over 3,000 hectares, Ōkārito is one of the best wetlands you can visit in New Zealand. You see a lot on the water, from birds that live and feed in fresh and saltwater environments to wading birds and some of the country's rarest creatures.

The kōtuku hunting nearly became extinct, with only four nests left by 1941. Somewhat sedentary, there are now approximately 100 to 120 birds.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

4. Stay at the Rainforest Motel and dine at Betsey Jane

Everything about Fox Glacier makes you feel welcome. Very much a small town with a homely vibe, Fox has plenty of places to hang your boots and relax with friends.

My place of residence is Rainforest MotelWonderful local family owned. Comfortable and with everything you need, you can walk everywhere from here. Betsy Jane Is a new restaurant nearby where I always end up having dinner.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

5. Watch the sunset at Gillespies Beach

It's hard to imagine that 150 years ago, during the Gold Rush, Gillespies Beach was home to eleven department stores. Nowadays, it is a long black sandy beach that is home to some seals.

Twenty kilometers west on a gravel road will lead you to Gillespies Beach. The perfect place to watch the sunset, it's one of my favorite places to go for a walk when I'm in Fox. Even in winter, it's great to visit Fox Glacier

While you can't see much of Fox Glacier itself from downtown, the further you drive out of town toward Lake Matheson and Gillespies Beach, the better views of the Southern Alps you'll get.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

6. keep an eye out for kea

I will never love the kea - New Zealand's naughtiest bird.

A rare alpine parrot, the kea is usually found only in the mountains and at higher elevations. However, Fox Glacier is one of the only towns from which kea hails. Chaos usually ensues. On the Fox, locals have learned to close their trash cans and store things away from places where Kia can destroy them. Hunted near extinction a century ago due to its destructive nature, its population has begun to grow again.

Typically, guests on helicopter tours will see Kea fly around glaciers, and occasionally land on the ice. Pretty yet cheeky, make sure your backpacks are zipped up, and your items stashed away when the kea is about. I've seen them throw climbing shoes off a cliff. Don't feed them.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

7. Discover ancient rainforests around Fox Glacier

Fox Glacier is located within Westland Tai Poutini National Park. Covering an area of ​​1,320 square kilometres, this is one of my favorite national parks in New Zealand. More than just big mountains and beautiful glaciers, the park includes some of the last preserved indigenous temperate rainforests in New Zealand.

Fox's jungle walk will make you feel like you stepped straight into Jurassic Park.

The valley around Fox Glacier is stunning, home to the ancient Podocarp Rainforest. You can even walk south side From the valley to get a glimpse of the glacier as well as New Zealand's largest active landslide, Alpine Gardens, which destroyed the old northern bypass, and walk to the face of the glacier. It's a good reminder of how active nature is and how little we have control over it.

You can also go on a guided tour E-bike trekking and hiking With Fox Glacier Guides to get the full scoop on the area, and check out the secret sites.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

8. Visit Franz Josef's Kiwi Sanctuary

The Rooi and Haast Toquica are the two most endangered species of kiwi in the world. With fewer than 600 of each bird left, you can only find them in this corner of the West Coast. Rowi is only found around Ōkārito, while tokoeka kiwi is only found around Haast.

The West Coast Wildlife Centre It works in association with the DOC, and you can visit and see some of these Kiwis up close and personal at the center or on one of their behind-the-scenes tours. The largest kiwi hatchery facility in the South Island, working to preserve these rare kiwis.

In the wild, due to predation, this kiwi is incredibly vulnerable, with 9 out of 10 chicks not surviving. Conservation workers remove kiwi eggs from the wild and return them to the center. Here they are safely hatched and then raised before being released back to where they were found once they are large and strong enough to fend for themselves.

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

9. Carve your own pounamu

Everyone I've met on the coast over the years has been amazing, and Jan is no exception. I've known her for a long time, since her Franz Josef days. Now she runs her own studio. Te Koha, outside of town, where you can carve your own pounamu/greenstone. I've made many pounamu necklaces here with Jan over the years, and have gifted most of them to my loved ones. While most people choose to carve the famous green pounamu, I tend to opt for the stunning aotea stone, which is often a beautiful shade of blue. "

Pounamu is found in colors ranging from cloudy light green to dark emerald with various markings. The pounamu was considered so important by Māori that the South Island was named after it, Te-Wai-Pounamu which means 'green stone water'. Maori cherish her because she is strong and beautiful. It is also a sign of power or status, as well as being considered sacred.

Of all the activities in the area, pounamu carving with Jan is often everyone's favorite experience. It's a lovely way to bring a piece of New Zealand back home with you.

There has never been a better time to visit Fox Glacier. Have you been here before? Is this the kind of place you would visit? Involved!

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Visit Fox Glacier

Many thanks to West Coast Development for having me at Fox Glacier. As always, I'm keeping it real. All opinions are mine, just as you would expect less from me!

Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments