Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

I ate "onion glass" ice cream.


Glass...onion...ice cream?

These four words do not belong within walking distance of each other. However the brand new glass onion A limited edition flavor from the folks at Van Leeuwen Ice Cream is being described as "a.k.a Take out the knives French mystery ice cream.” In other words: They don't tell you exactly what's in it.

So, obviously, I had to eat it and find out for myself.

For reasons that even detective Benoit Blanc could not reveal, when A.J The movie inspired tie-themed food-I have to eat it. I've been doing this since 2015. In that time, I've been consumed The burger thing (With Thing Sauce!), Batman Calzones (with "Crazy Sauce®!"), and full Addams family The list (complete with Purple hot chocolate It's so terrifying it'll even scare Gomez Adams.) You've had ice cream in the movie before, thanks to "Berry Bold™" Wonder Woman Ice cream At Cold Stone Creamery. They somehow interpreted DC's signature superheroine as a mound of brown, liquid mush with bits of red in it. (This looks like suicide squad Lee's ice cream.)

Just the fact that Van Leeuwen decided to make a "mystery" flavor inspired by a murder mystery like glass onion It appears they at least put a little more thought into their ice cream than Cold Stone did. The video below shows glass onion Writer/director Rian Johnson and several members of the cast sampled the stuff and suggested they could taste a few different ingredients, including pineapple, whiskey, and onions, God help me.

Without spoiling the movie for those who haven't watched it yet, all the flavors mentioned in this video relate to the movie in one way or another. The onion is clear. But you also got a pineapple because one of the characters in glass onion He is allergic to pineapple. There is bourbon because another character called whiskey. There is Greek yogurt in honor of the movie's location on a Greek island. If nothing else, the ingredient selection is very smart.

But how does it taste? Unfortunately for my cholesterol level, Van Leeuwen Ice Cream already delivers to my house - sure enough they had "Netflix Glass Onion" listed online as a flavour. Within minutes of me learning about the existence of this mystery frozen dairy product, it was in my hands.

Author photography
Author photography

I recorded my live reaction. Watch below when I taste it for the first time, and do my own Benoit Blanc-esque investigation of the various ingredients that are allegedly in this mystery ice cream.

As you can see, my biggest complaint is with glass onion The ice cream is that I couldn't really taste any of the things other than the onions that are supposed to be in there. Bites that don't have the flavor of the pungent onion taste like standard vanilla ice cream (if it's too savory). I got a small hint of whiskey, but I ate about a third of the pint and never detected any pineapple or glass-like crunch. To me, it felt like I was eating French onion soup ice cream - which, as strange as it sounds, was.

However, as a guy who eats a lot of bad character foods in the movie, I have to give Van Leeuwen a certain amount of credit. it's a glass onion Ice cream. Not putting onions would have been a big cop. If I order food inspired by a movie, I want that food to taste like the movie! Through thick and thin, glass onion Sure enough, the ice cream embraces the main ingredient of caramel.

I also appreciated the "mystery" aspect of the flavor—especially since Van Leeuwen put pickled onions in this thing. They risk complaints every time they sell a pint of onion ice cream to an unsuspecting customer who loves Benoit Blanc and expects a more traditional flavour. What's more glass onion is a movie full of horrific twists. This ice cream honors that. Even if you think you are ready to eat onion ice cream, the actual taste will definitely surprise you.

Personally, I'll stick to Van Leeuwen's regular order of mint chips from now on. But I'm not sad that I tried. A little bewildered, but not unhappy. glass onion Premieres on Netflix December 23rd.

Best movies of 2022

Here are ScreenCrush's picks for the best movies of the year.


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments