Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

There's a lot of Walt Disney's work in Mickey Mouse: Floyd Norman's Mickey: A Mouse Story interviews


Walt Disney I like to say, "Always remember it all started with the mouse." What was your first exposure to Mickey Mouse?

It was probably my first introduction to Mickey Mouse in cinema. I am an old programmer. We didn't have TV in the old days, so we went to the movies. And when my parents took me to the movie theater and I saw the big splash screen of Mickey on the screen, and it said "Walt Disney Mickey Mouse Cartoon," that was my first introduction to Mickey Mouse. And then, of course, after that, I suddenly found that Mickey Mouse was so ubiquitous. It was in the comics, it was in the comic books, it was in the newspapers. It was all over the place. And so, I knew that, whether I loved him or not, Mickey was going to be a huge part of my life.

Mickey was created by Walt Disney, who not only gave him his look, but literally Mickey's voice. What aspects of Walt Disney do we see in the character?

You can see Walt's character. You can see Walt Disney's amazing optimism. Walt was an optimist you know, and he was almost wrong. Mickey Mouse is totally optimistic. Walt Disney was incredibly resourceful. And boy, is Mickey very resourceful. And Mickey is also rather rude. There is a mischievous side to Mickey Mouse and Walt Disney, too. Walt's family has often talked to me about what a prankster Walt can be, and Mickey is a prankster too. So, there is a lot of Walt Disney in Mickey Mouse, and a lot of Mickey Mouse in Walt Disney.

My favorite Mickey is Magician Mickey in "fantasyfollowed bythe band Prom” and “Mickey and the Beanstalk.” We saw many different sides of Mickey in this movie. Which is your favorite?

There are many! "The Band Concert" is one and "Brave Little Tailor" is another. But I think for me, the best Mickey Mouse series was The Sorcerer's Apprentice from Fantasia. You get a chance to see every aspect of Mickey's personality. The mischievous Mickey, the sad unfortunate Mickey, the repentant Mickey, the cute little guy who probably has his fingers where they shouldn't be. This is perhaps Mickey's greatest performance and deserves a place as elegant as this movie.


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments