Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Don Newkirk, former De La Soul collaborator, dead at 56


Don Newkirk, artist, musician and producer, is perhaps best known for his collaborations De la Soul And the third bassat the age of 56.

News of Newkirk's death came across Posted on Facebook by Rahim From The Angry Five on Friday (November 25).

"It is with a heavy heart that I announce my brother's move to Don Newkirk," Rahim wrote. “Fifty-six years young. Don Newkirk was among the first R&B artists signed to Def Jam Recordings. My condolences go out to his family. SIP Bros.”

Prior to his solo debut, Don Newkirk was introduced to many fans through a series of voiceovers at De La Soul's 1989 debut height and three feet. Months later, Newkirk presented its debut album, Funk City on Def Jam Records subsidiary, OBR/Columbia Records, which yielded the singles "I Desire" and "Sweat You".

Raheem Facebook Post

The project was slightly different from the style of music Don Newkirk had done up to that point, a move he would later pitch to.

"Funk City It was like a style I experimented with and learning to play the instruments and learning how to use my voice in a different way than just rapping." AllHipHop last year. "Because I was never a singer. I was always an MC. But I felt like I could express what I was trying to provide better with melody at the time. So I came out with more Funk Citywhich I think is dope because it gave people a completely different element of me.

I probably would have had more success if I had stuck to showing up, being me 3 feet high and lofty Exit and "gas face" [by 3rd Bass] He was about to come out.” “And then I was very much in the native tongues camp but I wasn’t really a native tongue, because I sang more than I spit. But I'm glad it went the way it did because it created this legacy that I only realize now, and it made an impact that I didn't even know at the time because we didn't have the Internet. "

Don Newkirk's second album between love and lust It was completed in 1992, but was permanently shelved when Def Jam sold the imprint he was signed to. In 2021, Newkirk repackaged the project under the title Nostalgia for the past And they released it independently.

MC Serch Details the Birth of the '3rd Bass' High-Top Fade During the 'Did I Ever Told You About...MF DOOM' Podcast

Before returning to music as a solo artist, Newkirk partnered with producer Prince Paul, Digable Planets' Ladybug Mecca and fellow artist Rodrigo Brandão to form the experimental group BROOKZILL! They released only one album in 2016, titled Back to the future before it is resolved.

After the split, Don Newkirk and Prince Paul - who previously worked together on a 2004 movie The best thief in the worldChris Rock's 2005 comedy special never afraid and the 2008 documentary film pressure cooker They went back to scoring movies together.

The two composed the score to the 2017 Gimlet Media podcast Mogul: The Life and Death of Chris Lighty And the Netflix documentary series 2020 Who killed Malcolm X?


Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments